Locally Developed. Regionally Based. Globally Strategic.
The Laurinburg-Maxton Airport provides convenient location, extraordinary service and diverse amenities to industrial, commercial, private and governmental customers for their aviation and land-side needs in our quest to become the premiere aviation hub for the southeast.
The Laurinburg-Maxton Army Air Base, now known as the Laurinburg-Maxton Airport, was the world's largest Waco CG-4A glider pilot training base in the world from 1942 until 1945. At its peak, 10,000 men were stationed at this facility. When the base closed in 1945, the Department of Defense gave the airport and its remaining facilities to the City of Laurinburg and the Town of Maxton. The two municipalities formed a commission to manage and direct the operation of the airport and its surrounding land. The commission is comprised of three appointed representatives from each municipality. The chairmanship is chosen annually from these representatives, alternating between the two municipalities.
In Memory of the Combat Glider Pilots and other airborne assault personnel who trained at the Laurinburg-Maxton Army Airbase during World War II.